Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Letter 21.....Who owns it anyway?


In this letter, Screwtape encourages Wormwood to attack the patient's peevishness. Now my vocabulary is not very large, so I had to look up the meaning of peevishness to fully understand the meaning. If anyone else needs help, here is the definition:
peevishness:
1 : querulous in temperament or mood : fretful
2 : perversely obstinate (a peevish child)
3 : marked by ill temper
What trespasses make us angry? Someone taking too much of our time? Someone overstepping their boundaries? Screwtape focuses on time throughout much of this letter. He points out that man assumes all things belong to him, including time and his body. I must admit, I never looked at my day as belonging to God. I actually thought I could give my time to Him. I do look at my body as mine since I occupy it. But, this letter points out how foolish we are. We did not create time or one ounce of our body (well, maybe we contributed to the fat and muscle tone). We just occupy both. How different we might behave if we thought we were working for someone else in this time and body.

Here are some discussion ?'s for today:

Who owns time?

Does this change how we should use it?

Who owns our bodies?

How would you feel if someone mistreated a gift you gave them?

No comments: