Monday, March 30, 2009

Letter 17...Gluttony


This letter is about gluttony. What is gluttony? Gluttony is
1. Eating before the time of meal in order to satisfy the palate.
2. Seeking delicacies and better quality of food to gratify the "sense of taste."
3. Seeking after sauces and seasonings for the enjoyment of the palate.
4. Exceeding the necessary amount of food.
5. Taking food with too much eagerness, even when eating the proper amount, and even if the food is not luxurious.

So, while you may have thought gluttony was just overeating, it can also mean being too particular, eating just to eat or just focusing too much on food.

I never realized the true definition of gluttony included "Seeking delicacies, sauces and seasinings." I must admit, I fall into this category. We are vegetarians, and therefore, must be "priggish" when eating out with friends by refusing meat. I could easily turn vegetarianism into a large part of my day. Planning meals, going to this store for this and that store for that. Cooking detailed recipes to provide my family with sumptuous meals. Yep, it happens.

My husband has become spoiled by all this attention to diet and cooking. Sometimes after I've prepared a laborious meal he will exclaim, "Hmm, this needs something else, some sort of spice." Do you think it would be OK if I hit him with the gluttony stick?

Anyways, here's the questions for this letter:

How can focusing on food interfere with your life?

In what ways according to the letter are women made to be gluttonous?

In what ways are men to be made gluttonous?

No comments: