Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Letter 10...you are who you hang out with


At least that's what my mother told me, and what I tell my children. In this letter Screwtape encourages the friendship of friends with opposing morals and priorities. I have friends like this. Friends that say things that make me cringe. Friends that have worldviews different than mine. Yet, I still continue a friendship with them based on the hope that it is possible that they will see my life and change. Sometimes I rationalize it and tell myself, aren't we supposed to love the enemy? (That doesn't mean we have to be cozy with him though). So, I know this scenario all too well.

This letter gives us the perfect opportunity as families to discuss this situation. How we gradually can become the same as our friends. How it's dangerous to "play" along with people who do things we're opposed to. How we can gradually convince ourselves that their way may not be so wrong.

Some words were unfamiliar to me and defining them has helped me to understand the meaning of the letter. One word is:
Mammon: a term, derived from the Christian Bible, used to describe material wealth or greed.

Screwtape stated that in modern Christian writings he see a lot about mammon, but little warnings about world vanities, the choice of friends, and the value of time. This forces the question what do we value? Who are our friends and how do we spend our time? Truly looking at these things may change how we see ourselves.

No comments: